Monday 4 October 2010

Cover Shot Angles !

After analysing magazines from their front covers, contents pages and double page spreads I have now decided to narrow my research down and focus on one aspect of the magazine. The next piece of research I am going to conduct will be focusing on the cover shot and the angle is is taken from. I think these piece of research is relevant as it will help me to gain a knowledge of the shots available and I can then start to think which shot I would like to use and which will work best. So I started by gathering images of front covers with different cover shots so I can start to analyse them.

Magazine One - NME

This is a magazine cover from NME magazine and as with all magazine front covers there is a main shot on the front cover. This image usually takes up around 70% of the front cover. On this front cover around 70% of the front cover is taken up by the main image which is of two artists which are the magazines main story this week. A magazine tends to put a large image of their main story piece on the front cover as it tends to be the main selling point of the magazine. So therefore they advertise this largely in order to attract the most potential custom. The shot on this cover is a medium shot, which means you can see from the waist up of the artist. The two artists on the image are looking directly at the camera which then gives the reader direct eye contact. I believe this shot could work well if you wanted the artist to be in direct contact with the audience and it is more than one artist. I believe this shot would not have worked as well if there was only one artist on the shot. But as there are two males in the shot it would have been hard to have a close up.

Magazine Two -Q

This is an issue of Q magazine and the shot on the front is a long shot. The band on the front of the cover is the Kings Of Leon. The band shows attitude throughout their whole bodies which I believe is a reason for the magazine using this shot. This could also be used as the band may be recognised for their attitude and style so therefore this needs to be shown in order for the audience to connect with the front cover. I would consider using this shot if I was to use a band on my front cover shot, as it allows the reader to see everyone in the band. However if the artist I was using was a solo artists then I believe this shot wouldn't work as the front cover would be very empty.

Magazine Three -Empire
Firstly, I was unable to find a close up cover shot. So therefore I have chosen to use 'Empire' magazine. There is a close up of Bat man on this front covering meaning only his face can be seen. I believe this works well on this magazine as it is in direct contact with the audience. Bat man is also making direct eye contact with the reader drawing them in as they believe he is looking at them. And also wants them to read about his article. I believe this would not work for a music magazine as you will not be able to see muc of the artist meaning it they may not get recognised resulting in a loss of magazine sales.

Magzine Four - Vibe
This magazine is an issue of Vibe magazine with a medium close up, meaning the head and the shoulders of the artist can be seen. This shot is very cominaly used on music magazines from view covers on the internet. The artist on the front cover is in black and white I believe this shows he class. The medium close up allows the reader to recognise the artist easier than in a close up shot. Also I believe by allowing the reader to see slightly more of the artist it makes them seem more real and easier to connect to. However at the same time it allows the artist to still be in direct contact with the reader. Also on this front cover the artist is giving direct eye contact to the reader. From researching close ups and medium close ups always use direct eye contact as the artist or artists face is covering around 70% of the front cover. I believe this is the best shot to use from my research if I was to use a singal artist and I will consider using this cover shot in my desgin stages.

No comments:

Post a Comment